11.29.2011

November Foodie Penpals

Where did November go?!  It seems like this month just flew by!  One bit of exciting news is that I got accepted into my grad school program!  I will be a (part-time) student starting in January - YIKES! 

So, I had so much fun last month that I decided to participate in the foodie penpals again!  (See below for more details.)  This month Sarah @ sarah learns sent me some delicious treats from Wisconsin!  I was so excited to try everything!  (Sorry that some of the items are open and partially eaten - I couldn't find my camera right away and couldn't resist sampling.)

My box contained:
Organic Tamari-roasted Almonds (aka: DELICIOUS!):  I had to hide these from my husband, and he is already asking if we can find these in Ohio! I have been eating a small handful of these to give me a boost before I work out.  (I work out at my office gym during my lunch hour and these help me survive until I have lunch afterwards.)
Sesame Bar with Date Syrup:  I have to admit that I was a little nervous about trying these as I did not know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised.  They were quite tasty.
Dagoba organic chocolate - Superfruit:  This is "rich dark chocolate, acai, currants, & goji berries" and it is tied for my favorite item in the box! :)  
Christine's Coffee Toffee:  This is what tied with the Dagoba bar.  It is a thin layer of toffee with small coffee bean pieces on one side and a thin layer of dark chocolate on the other.  Made with Wisconsin butter and coffee! (Got to love local!)
Semolina Pizza Crust Mix:  Haven't gotten to try this yet, but it claims you only need to add water - sounds easy enough.
Slack's Red Raspberry Jam:  I love raspberries (good guess Sarah!) and this jam is full of favor.  I ate it for breakfast on bagels this past week. 

Thanks again Sarah for all the delicious Wisconsin treats!  It is always fun to see local favorites from other places. :)



She even included this cute little pocket guide of local Southern Wisconsin restaurants that use local ingredients!  What a great idea. :)

If you are interested in joining the Foodie Penpals program, here are some details:
-On the 5th of every month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
-You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
-The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
-You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
-Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you are to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month. *US Residents only please at this time- hopefully we can expand soon!*

For more information on the foodie penpals, check out the details on The Lean Green Bean.
If you’re interested in participating in December's foodie penpals, please send Lindsay an email at theleangreenbean@gmail.com by December 4th and include the following information:
-Your full name
-Your email address
-Your blog name/address
-Your twitter handle (if applicable)

------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:  Since it is not letting me comment on my own post:

@ sarahlearns:  The chocolate was wonderful.  I finally ate the last bite today and am sad that it is gone!

@ Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean: The toffee was delicious!  Maybe you will get lucky and have Sarah as your penpal one month! :)

@ Sarah:  I would definitely recommend trying them if you like almonds - they are almost addicting!

@ Kimberly: AGREED!  :)

4 comments:

  1. i'm glad you liked the food that i picked out for you! :) those chocolate bars are delicious, aren't they?!? i have to ration it when i have them in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, coffee toffee???i want. you got some great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tamari almonds sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dagoba chocolate is the best! :)

    ReplyDelete